Friday 22 July 2016

One Lovely Blog // Kenya and book habits and also sombreros

Thanks to Ashley, my unerring fave*, who tagged me for the One Lovely Blog Award! This is good because I am going away tomorrow morning (tomorrow morning being the 16th of July -- scheduling posts = magic) and right now I only have two posts scheduled for the next two weeks (though by the time this one is up, one of those will already have happened ... are you confused yet? Scheduling always makes me feel kind of like I'm time travelling) and they're both short stories and my brain just kinda feels ...

Meh.

I think this is what the kids call a blogging slump.

But anyway, the One Lovely Blog Award is here, so if your lifelong dream is to hear seven facts about me** and see a lot of pretty things from Pinterest ... today is your day!

*fave is a loose term and applies to many of you. Ashley is my fave but not my only fave. Before the rest of you get all offended.
**you know it is, don't lie

angela dalinger:
[source] // Andrea Dalinger
 :
[source]
/:
[source]
1. I am going to Kenya in January as part of my gap year! Emily, why did you not tell us this until right now? Haven't we asked for gap year updates?" .... Yes, this is true, but also when I'm posting about books/writing/JBH I get distracted and forget small details like the fact I'll be moving to another continent for four months. Everyone keeps asking me what I'll be doing on my trip, and the real answer is I don't know ... I haven't really been told! I'll be with missionary organisations Crosslinks and iServe Africa and I will be doing ... mission. With kids? In schools? In churches? In an office? With vulnerable women? MAYBE ALL OF THEM. We shall find out!

And I've wanted to go to Africa my whole life and I'm so thrilled to be serving God in this way and I'm just really frigging excited.

Bookbinding Book (BBB?) refuses to get out of my head:
[source]

indie | Tumblr I lets grow flowers:
[source]
2. I just finished Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater and it was stunning. I am completely certain she is the best YA writer around today.

 :
[source]

alexandra levasseur:
[source] // Alexandra Levasseur
3. This summer I've been working as a receptionist in a GP surgery. This means answering the phone, putting through prescriptions, generally experiencing the humanity of Ayrshire* and working out whether to laugh or cry.
*It's in Scotland and I live there. Get your geography together, please.

 :
[source]
4. I have various weird reading rules. For example, when I've finished a book, I it back on my shelf once I've got immersed in the next one. I can't just read the last sentence and then slot it back on the shelf as if nothing has happened! It sits on my bedside until the next book has picked me up and carried me away.

save the mermaids!:
[source]

 :
[source] // literally me
 :
[source]
5. Recently I've got super super into Kate Nash. This song, though:


Urban Outfitters Tumblr:
[source]
 :
[source]
6. Last year I realised I was reading about fifteen series and I decided I would start NO MORE until I got down to nine (so that, then, I would never be reading more than ten at once). I have stuck to this -- another weird reading rule -- and now, having finished Wolves of Mercy Falls, I am only reading nine series! Go me!

 :
[source]

Hubert & Isabelle d'Ornano flat in Paris - Interior Design Henri Samuel:
[source]
 :
[source]
7. I tidy my room all. the. time. I never used to be neat, but now? I think it's all tied up with my room being a symbol of feminism, writing, and being a feminist writer. When I am tidying my room -- this is weird reading rule #3 -- I put whatever books are lying about (you know, because I've accidentally stripped half my shelf in order to take pictures, or because said books are new) on the shelf last. This is my “reward" for tidying, because I get that excited about putting new books on the shelf. Oh well. If you can't be an unapologetic fanqueen* bookdragon** in the blogosphere ... where can you be??
*like a fangirl but better
**like a bookworm but better

So true:
[source] // the question I'm constantly asking
I tag: Tracey // July // Lauren // Blue // Deborah

 :
[source]
156-365 by raintree1969:
[source] // Do you have any weird reading rules? Thank you and goodnight.
~***~

21 comments:

  1. That is so awesome that you are going to Kenya, I hope you have a great trip!

    I try to finish my unreads before buying new ones, never seems to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ugh, it never happens, though. The struggles >.<

      Delete
  2. THAT IS SO AMAZING THAT YOU ARE GOING TO KENYA!!!!!! YOU WILL HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!! (I just used way too many exclamation marks but I don't even care.)

    Also, how much fun is it to work in healthcare? (I'm being *kinda* sarcastic there. I work in a pharmacy and some days I love it and other days I'm just like PLEASE KILL ME NOW.)

    Also, that sombrero quote spoke to me on a personal level.

    Also, for my weird reading rules I try to make sure I finish what I start (unless it's unspeakably awful) and I try to read what I already have instead of buying new books (which doesn't always work out).

    Also, I love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS VICTORIA!!!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!! (And same, fam, same. No regrets.)

      I had the worst day today, it was SO boring I thought I would cry. Today my mum asked me quite seriously if I would consider a career in the NHS? AHAHHAHAHAHA I said.

      AND ME TOO. It's the best.

      #1 is the same for me, but #2 ... ahem. Aha. Hmm ... ~looks guilty~

      Good! They are all from Pinterest so I can't really take credit >.>

      Delete
  3. I hope you have a great trip to Kenya! Very cool news!

    You know, I don't have a clue as to how many series I have in the works right now... probably way more than 15!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! :D

      You read so many series! I always feel a bit stressed on your behalf XD

      Delete
  4. Kenya! I'll be doing some research on Kenya during the next few years because I have an idea for a novel set in the country (but two centuries in the future). I'm not sure that I'll ever actually write it, but I'd like to at least do some research in my University's library. Have fun during your gap year. I actually have a sci-fi short story I've been sending around that centers on a gap year. I didn't take one myself, but I think they're interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Sounds like a very interesting novel! I'm dead excited for the writing possibilities/inspirations that I expect. You should totally write it, though. I am v much looking forward to my gap year :)

      Delete
  5. Ohmygoodness Emily, you're going to Kenya??!!!! WHY DID YOU NOT TELL US OMG I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! And yes yes yes, working with kids in offices or churches and whatnot, and with vulnerable women is going to be such a rewarding experience for you, but at the same time pleeeeease stay safe!!

    Anyway anyway, Sinner by classic Mags looks amazing, I have like three of her books and they're all pretty awesome, but I haven't read anything from her since, but I will get on that I assure you.

    And yoooooooo how's Scotland??? I want to go soon, on like a small trip from London to North England, to somewhere in Scotland before settling in the highlands for a couple days, but the problem is, I have no bloody idea as to how to do that, and also I'm poor so idk how I'm going to plan that all out c': (I'm using a smiley but in all honesty I am crying inside).

    Anywhale congrats on getting down to nine series, we are all v proud of you.

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I AM, YES I HOPE SO AND YES I WILL! Thank you <3

      IT WAS SO GOOD AND GUESS WHAT I MET HER ON TUESDAY! And she signed my book! We chatted! ughhhh I love her so much ....

      Hahaha that para was my life. I want to go cool places and not work but I have no mula ahahahha ~cries for a thousand years~ Scotland is bangin, as ever.

      Thanks, though how sincere was that congrats? I feel you're not really committed to my series reading goals ..... ;)

      Delete
  6. Ohmygoodness Emily, you're going to Kenya??!!!! WHY DID YOU NOT TELL US OMG I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! And yes yes yes, working with kids in offices or churches and whatnot, and with vulnerable women is going to be such a rewarding experience for you, but at the same time pleeeeease stay safe!!

    Anyway anyway, Sinner by classic Mags looks amazing, I have like three of her books and they're all pretty awesome, but I haven't read anything from her since, but I will get on that I assure you.

    And yoooooooo how's Scotland??? I want to go soon, on like a small trip from London to North England, to somewhere in Scotland before settling in the highlands for a couple days, but the problem is, I have no bloody idea as to how to do that, and also I'm poor so idk how I'm going to plan that all out c': (I'm using a smiley but in all honesty I am crying inside).

    Anywhale congrats on getting down to nine series, we are all v proud of you.

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kenya! That's thrilling! I think you may have to have a blog series chronicling your adventures there.

    I admire the fact that you have such firm reading rules. I don't, and it kind of takes its toll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is thrilling! And yes, I fully hope to blog while I am there. Reading rules are good but can also be ... bad. Stressing about reading is bad. Reading is meant to be part of the solution, not the problem ...

      Delete
  8. AH! I HOPE YOU HAVE AN AWESOME TIME IN KENYA! That's so amazing!

    Working with the public in customer service jobs is so hard. It just stinks. Why can't people be nice? Or think? Why do they always want to use someone else's *cough* yours *cough* brain? And then they want to be mean about. . . everything, like you're the silly one here. -_- Ahem, anyhow. I hope your job goes well.

    Uh, I don't think I have any weird reading habits? I do agree that it is too odd to return a book to the shelf immediately after reading it. It's like putting it out of your mind which is impossible to do after finishing especially if it's a good book. But I don't think I'm consistent enough to have developed any reading habits. XD Except maybe not read a series straight through? Or even the same author consecutively? For some reason, I cannot bring myself to do it, even if the book ended with a cliffhanger and I really just HAVE TO KNOW. I still can't do it. I wonder if I'm subconsciously afraid of confusing the two books together since the next one picks up where the previous one left off. If I read them consecutively I won't know when the next one started? *shrugs*

    Also, LOVE that Hobbes with the sombrero. That's always been a favorite of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS ASHLEY!

      The public are mostly very nice but just occasionally ... I just want to SLAP some people because they are so rude and so entitled and so ungrateful and I'm like do you reALISE YOU HAVE A HEALTHCARE SERVICE THAT IS UNIVERSAL AND FREE AT POINT OF ACCESS???? Like, most countries DO NOT HAVE THAT. GET IT TOGETHER, PEOPLE OF BRITAIN.

      Yeah, same about the series. For me it extends through series, authors and genres. I can't ever cope with one straight after another.

      Mine too <3

      Delete
  9. These are some cool facts about you! That's so exciting that you're going to Kenya! I hope it is a marvelous experience. I also like keeping my room clean. I start feeling gross when my room looks gross. XD

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be marvellous! Having a tidy room is essential to a tidy state of mind ... XD

      Delete
  10. I'm so excited about your Kenya trip! And I was nodding along to many of your Pinterest quotes here (like the books I can't afford), and snickering about the atoms one. XD

    Heheh, I second the above discussion about customer service jobs. People are a real chore sometimes. And they ask the most ridiculous questions, and expect the most ridiculous things. And then you get really sweet, grateful people in between and decide the job's not so bad after all. But I would love it if we could have a day called Honest Retail Worker Day, during which time I could be as blunt, scathing, and sarcastic as I jolly well please. XD

    I like your reading rule! One of my mine, which isn't really a *rule* exactly, is that after reading particularly amazing books, I can't bring myself to start another one for at least a few hours, if not a day. I have to bask in the afterglow for a while, otherwise it may ruin the next book.

    Way to go for finishing series! I've been trying to do that somewhat this year, but I've also started several series, so... :P I am motivating myself to get through them a little faster though, I believe.

    Thanks for the tag!! I read this post back when you put it up, and totally meant to comment and thank you. (But you know what happened to my blogging habits this last month.) I shall enjoy doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And I mentioned Honest Retail Worker Day to a colleague at work today, after she said, “I wish I could phone her [a patient] back and say, “you know, I find you very rude" and then hang up!". She laughed. XD

      The afterglow! It can ruin books. It has ruined books. Books suffer. ((But it's their fault, for not being as amazing, right?))

      Thanks! I'm currently reading Cinder (!) so that takes me back up to 10. Which is OK. That was the goal.

      You are welcome! Ha, I read this comment when you put it up and see the date today?! *ahem* ... But I look forward to reading your post :)

      Delete
  11. Whoa, Kenya? I wonder what happens. Sounds like an interesting experience!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! :)